Located in southeastern Wisconsin, the Kenosha Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) supplies water to almost 110,000 people. It utilizes a pioneering biosolids handling process that promotes energy efficiency and reduces the amount and cost of biosolids sent to the landfill.
The Kenosha WWTP first went online in 1940. Secondary treatment was added in 1967, and the facility was upgraded again in 1985 to increase its capacity. The plant is owned by the city of Kenosha and serves an 85.7-sq-mile area. It treats an average of 22 million gal per day (mgd) and its maximum daily flow is 68 mgd.
Wastewater enters the plant through a 99-in. sewer. Sewage then flows through two bar screens and two grit removal chambers into nine primary clarifiers. It is treated with ferric chloride to remove phosphates before entering six large aeration basins. It then settles in four final clarifiers, is injected with chlorine, travels through chlorine contact tanks, is injected with sulfur dioxide and is discharged into Lake Michigan. The entire operation takes about 16 hours to complete. It is the plant’s sludge treatment process, however, that differentiates it from the rest. Read Full Article (PDF)